There is not a single feast which can end without a cake. Cakes come in various types and sizes and of course with different flavours. Generally the preference for flavours, vary from culture to culture, but in today’s world almost every type of cake is readily available to everyone. Some have a penchant for baking while others have a really good hand to it. However what counts when it comes to baking, the most important factor is the right recipe. Every recipe has some tricks or little additions that can enhance the flavour thousand folds. Thus when it comes to baking, the perfect recipe can work wonders.
The problem is that, these days we hardly find the time to bake a cake with attention to detail. If it is a formal occasion, we generally opt for cake delivery facilities. Well, when armed with an easy and effective recipe, we can once at least try our hand at baking. Sponge cakes are a really favourite for every type of occasion. So, here’s an easy to make sponge cake recipe for you-
Let’s get you prepped with the ingredients
To make one sponge cake, you will require-
- Caster sugar: 4 oz or 125gms
- Eggs: 2 medium sized
- Butter or margarine (softened): 4 oz or 125gms
- Flour (preferably self raising): 4 oz or 125gms
Additional note: Make sure that you have enough baking parchment! Also, you will be requiring at least two 18cm by 7 inches cake tins for the baking.
This will generally take about 25-30 minutes to bake and the preparation time will roughly amount to 20 minutes. In total, you just have to spend an hour and will have a delicious hand baked sponge cake to treat all to, and if you get it right, this will turn out be better than cakes bought from market
Steps to be followed
- Preheat your oven to 350F or 180C.
- Get your cake tins ready by lining them with the baking parchment.
- Like any other cake, mix the sugar and the butter in a bowl, most preferably with an electric mixer, since it will save time and ensure a better mix.
- After the mixer turns pale, add the two eggs and beat them in.
- Right after the eggs, add the flour into the bowl and mix the entire thing well.
Tip: It works well if you use a wooden spoon for this.
- Make sure that the consistency of the mixture is right. Additional info: If you feel that the mixture is too heavy, pour a little milk in it, but be careful not to add too much.
- Pour the mixture into the two cake tins and if needed flatten it out with the help of a spatula.
- Allow the cakes to bake for no more than 25 minutes.
- Make sure that the cakes come out smoothly from the cake tins.
- Depending on how you like it, you can sandwich the two cakes together with whipped cream or lemon curd or jam!
So, now that you know the tricks to baking, invite your friends over for a cup of tea and your very own hand-made sponge cake! If you think it is too tedious for you, you can always get your favourite cakes delivered at your doorsteps.